Emphasis will be on alignment, use of props, intentional adjustments, compassion, allowing the student’s pose to unfold with guidance but not oppression. A strong confident voice but not a harsh voice. Traditional knowledge will be shared but more emphasis placed on evidence-based concepts. There is an increasing body of research on the benefits of yoga to draw from. The 220-hour program will establish foundations and touch on pregnancy, seniors, addiction, and introduction to yoga therapy.
Yoga philosophy will be woven throughout.
Graduates will have a strong foundation in based asana, teaching asana, clinical applications and:
- Confidence in their understanding of anatomy, common presenting conditions and how to recognize and address them;
- A knowledge base in both traditional and EB (evidence-based) yoga concepts;
- A spiritual and ethical foundation and understanding of their role as a yoga teacher and lifelong student of yoga;
- Confidence in utilizing yoga as a therapeutic intervention in a clinical setting;
- An indirect relationship to a yoga lineage.
Focus is on evidence-informed practice while continuing to honor tradition.
Compassion for the patient is the left hand while knowledge and vigilant self-assessment of the practitioner/teacher is the right. This approach can be applied to orthopedic as well as systemic conditions. Targeting the nervous and endocrine systems to stimulate healing.
Experience with online teaching.
Graduates will be eligible to be listed with the Yoga Alliance directory and have a certificate that may help them find employment as insurable yoga teachers. As a graduate from an IAYT member school you may be eligible to enter a full yoga therapist training.
Recognized by Yoga Alliance as a 200 hour Registered Yoga School and is an International Association of Yoga Therapists as a Member School.
- Develop competency as an introductory yoga teacher with basic skills in voice projection, cueing, making modifications, use of props, making class plans
- Demonstrate basic use of the chair for Chair yoga
- Address students individual needs in a group class
- Demonstrate basic knowledge in yoga for pregnancy, back care, seniors and chronic pain management
- Become familiar with certain yoga texts as resource material
- Complete a case study to deepen your competency
- Competency in teaching yoga to your fellow classmates and in your community either in person or via an internet platform like Zoom
- Be able to speak on yogic concepts
- Have acquired relevant resource material
- Have a community of peers from your training program
- Receive a certificate as a Maha Sadhana Yoga Teacher
- Be eligible to apply to Yoga Alliance as an RYT200
- Be eligible for yoga teacher insurance
- 14 CMTBC CEs for anatomy component
Open to Allied health care clinicians with a health sciences background. Those entering the 220-hour program must already have an established yoga practice. I wish to encourage realism in expected outcomes and advise you to explore the benefits of this study for you personally and professionally.
You will be required to submit a short essay along with your registration fee responding to these questions:
- What is your Yoga experience?
- What is your reason for wishing to attend this training?
- What are your expectations upon completion and what plans will you make to fulfill these expectations?
October 12th through May 2022
- 6.5 hours online classroom per week (1 x 4 and 1 x2 hours weekly)
- Tuesdays 3:30 to 6:00 PM
- Saturdays 8:30 to 10:30 AM — 11:30 to 1:30 PM
- Primarily synchronous and some asynchronous
- Offered via Zoom platform
- Winter and Spring break
- + 24 hours in person – if possible we will come together on Salt Spring Island in April/May for our program completion and 24 hours of study and practical exam. Otherwise, this will be administered online (For a total of 180 hours)
- + 20 hours of homework
- + 20 hours of clinical application and case study with mentoring via Zoom
- $2500 + GST – When deposit is paid by August 1st, $2800 + GST after (extended to August 15th)
- Plus reading materials and yoga equipment
- Cost of travel and accommodations on Salt Spring Island
Withdrawal / Cancellation Policy
There is a $1200 deposit required to hold your space due with registration.
Second/final Payment is due by September 1st, 2021.
Payment is by email transfer, bank draft or Visa. Those wishing to pay by Visa there will be added an additional 3%.
- If the program is cancelled your fees are refunded in full.
- There is a non-refundable admin fee of $200 with any other reason for withdrawal.
- If you withdraw within one month of the program you forfeit your paid fees.
- Extreme circumstances are given consideration.
- If you do not complete the program you forfeit all fees and will not receive a certificate.
- To receive a certificate you must complete all courses and all homework assignments to complete your 220 hours.
- There is a 95% attendance requirement, completion of all assignments and full payment for graduation.
Download the Maha Sadhana Yoga
Teacher Training Outline for more information.
About the Director
Leigh Anne Milne • Leigh Milne RMT • E-RYT500 • CIYT • Certified Yoga Therapist • Registered Massage Therapist • Educator
An RMT with 30 years experience and LMT in the state of Hawaii. Leigh serves on faculty at MAHA MT School in Maui, Hawaii. A student of yoga since the 80s, in 2002 Leigh began to travel to India to study yoga with the Iyengar family and has returned many times. She has assisted in medical yoga classes; and trained in yoga for addiction support with Fr Joe Pereira of Kripa Foundation in Goa, India. Her interests are yoga and health care, specifically chronic pain/suffering, and health education. She believes the Self desires a return to wellness and needs a supportive environment. Leigh Anne is a health educator and yoga teacher trainer with deep gratitude for the teachings.