According to the most recent recommendations from the American College of Physicians, massage therapy is most effective as a pain treatment intervention when combined with patient education and or exercise. This same paper also identified yoga as an effective movement therapy/exercise intervention.
This course is designed to teach in-house and homecare patient tools, using yoga therapy as resistance exercise, as mindfulness exercise, and as a way to stimulate the autonomic nervous system. How to guide RMTs and yoga teachers in how to integrate these tools into their practice. We will refer to research and evidence-based interventions to design the most effective protocols for remedial exercise and homecare. Yoga interventions will target key areas and conditions both MSK and systemic. Principles learned may be applied to other forms of therapeutic movement. Open to all HCPs, and Yoga teachers. Those who have attended the Anatomy & Yogasana courses will benefit greatly from this course. No experience is required.
- Practical yoga-based exercises, movement therapy, and breathing techniques for patient care
- How to dose according to load and duration based on treatment goals
- Assessing for what yoga interventions to recommend based on best available evidence
- How to identify and redirect negative language patterns
- How to integrate what you learn into a treatment plan
14 hours, 14 PE CEs CMTBC, MTAA, Yoga Alliance
Leigh Milne RMT, E-RYT500, CIYT, Certified Yoga Therapist, is a BC Canada registered massage therapist and LMT in the state of Hawaii. Leigh served on faculty at MAHA MT School in Maui, Hawaii. Leigh has traveled to India to study yoga with the Iyengar family many times where she has assisted in medical yoga classes, and trained with Fr Joe of Kripa Foundation in yoga for addiction support. Her interests are yoga and health care, specifically chronic pain/suffering, and health education.
- July 9th & 10th, 2022
- 9 AM to 5 PM both days
- One Yoga Vernon | 2909 30 Avenue, Vernon, BC
- $580 ($600 after June 1st)
- Includes course, written protocols
Any PHO mandates in place will be followed.